14 Incredible Pictures That Will Change Your View Of Academy

October 5, 2016

Before+Academy+became+Co-Ed+in+elementary+school%2C+students+were+split+between+the+Girls+and+Boys+Academy.+

Credit: Academy Archives

Before Academy became Co-Ed in elementary school, students were split between the Girls and Boys Academy.

Since the beginning of Academy in 1881, the faculty and students have captured the essence of this school through series of photographs. From the time students in the 1900s boarded on campus, to now having over 800 students, there have been many events and traditions within the walls of 3319 Bayshore Boulevard. In order to celebrate the opening of the Heritage Center, ACHONA has collected archived photos of Academy’s history.

Traditional Silver Coffee Luncheon dates back from 1929.
Credit: Academy Archives
Traditional Silver Coffee Luncheon dates back from 1929.

 

Group of students gathered around the front of the school in 1931.
Credit: Academy Archives
Group of students gathered around the front of the school in 1931.

 

Chapel Ceremony in 1932, where the third floor board room currently is.
Credit: Academy Archives
Chapel Ceremony in 1932, where the third floor board room currently is.

 

Entrance of the School in 1932, after the initial construction of the building.
Credit: Academy Archives
Entrance of the School in 1932, after the initial construction of the building.

 

The Sisters of the Holy Names pictured in the front foyer.
Credit: Academy Archives
The Sisters of the Holy Names pictured in the front foyer.

 

Home Ec class in the 1930s, currently Mrs. Perella's science classroom.
Credit: Academy Archives
Home Ec class in the 1930s, currently Mrs. Perella’s science classroom.

 

Student Dormitories in the 1930s, located on the fourth floor corner where Ms. Rodriguez's office is now.
Credit: Academy Archives
Student Dormitories in the 1930s, located on the fourth floor corner where Ms. Rodriguez’s office is now.

 

A flag raising ceremony for the Boys Academy, located near the current softball field.
Credit: Academy Archives
A flag raising ceremony in 1962 for the Boys Academy, located near the current softball field.

 

Annual Father Daughter Dance hosted by Dad's Club in 1962.
Credit: Academy Archives
Annual Father Daughter Dance hosted by Dad’s Club in 1962.

 

Class of 1969 students gathered near the chapel.
Credit: Academy Archives
Class of 1969 students gathered near the chapel.

 

Sister Mary Glavin pictured ont eh right with other Holy Names Sisters near the entrance of campus.
Credit: Academy Archives
Sister Mary Glavin pictured on the right with other Holy Names Sisters near the entrance of campus in 1981.

 

The early stages of the gym construction in 1991.
Credit: Academy Archives
The early stages of the gym construction in 1991.

 

 

Students travel to the Dominican Republic in one of the first Academy Mission Trips.
Credit: Academy Archives
Students travel to the Dominican Republic in one of the first Academy Mission Trips.

 

4th Grade students surrounded by their classrooms, which is now the dance room.
Credit: Academy Archives
4th Grade students surrounded by their classrooms, which is now the dance room.

Pictures captured throughout the years of Academy’s history capture what it truly means to be an Academy student. No matter the physical changes of the building, Academy will still instill the values to its young women.

Achona • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in